New York State
Recreation & Park Society


Park, Recreation and Therapeutic Professionals can improve their professional status by attaining becoming a certified professional through NRPA. Once certified professionals need to maintain their certification by getting CEUs. For more information regarding the following certification types visit


  • Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP)
  • Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS)
  • Certified Park and Recreation Executive (CPRE)
  • Certified Pool Operator (CPO)
  • Certified Playground Safety Inspector (CPSI)

What are CEUs and How Can I Get Them?

A Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is defined as a minimum of one (1) hour of participation in an organized educational experience, and is mandatory for recertification under the Certified Park and Recreation Professional status (CPRP) and Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS). NYSRPS follows the IACET guidelines for CEUs. CEUs are available to organizations, through an application process. Individuals will no longer be able to apply for CEUs, any requests will now be directed to NRPA for equivalency credit towards their CPRP or CTRS renewal. Please contact sponsoring organizations for their criteria for certifications other than CPRP.

Seeking CEU approval for upcoming seminars or conferences? Contact Lisa Morahan at for information.

New York State Recreation & Park Society  501 C3 Not-for-Profit Organization

19 Roosevelt Drive, Suite 200 Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software